Shinjuku

新宿 : SHINJUKU


Shinjuku is one of the busiest district in Tokyo. It houses several office towers, hotels, shopping malls, small cafes, pachinko centres and the notable Omoide Yokocho. During my trip, I stayed at Shinjuku Washington Hotel. I would be back to this hotel again if I am visiting Tokyo again, I believed. The room that I was given is really cosy though it is quite small. It fits in a nice bathroom with the essential amenities. I booked my trip with Chan Brothers, the flight with accomdation cost me S$2002, overall, I am happy with the arrangement.

Shinjuku Washington Hotel is located south-west from Shinjuku station. It is quite accessible to most of the shopping malls. Without further ado, I will let the photos do the job of showing you my room.

Our hotel room



As mentioned earlier, there are 5 department stores in Shinjuku itself namely My Lord, Lumine, Odakyu, Takashimya and lastly Keio. What to expect from these department stores then? Practically, they sell everything from foods, clothes, cosmetic to health products. During my trip, I went to Odakyu, Keio and Takashimaya. These are some of the biggest department stores around.

Kinokuniya in Takashimaya (Ironically, it don't sell books)

Burberry Black Label, the brand that you can only find in Japan. It's in fact cheaper by a lot as compared to the normal Burberry line. Being exclusive, I believed that it's good to get one of the products there if you wanted to show off to your friend back at Singapore, hahas. Note that, Burberry Black Label is the men series while Blue Label is for the ladies. You can find the Burberry Black Label counters at most department stores, don't miss it. How cheap? FYI, the price for a long sleeve shirt cost around S$167 while polo tee cost around S$154.


Feeling lucky? Test your luck at one of their Pachinko centres then. I did not went to any during my visit, but note that you need to be 18 years old and above to enter the centre. Nevertheless, I do not encourage over spending at the centres, well, gambling is bad. Instead, we went to the toy-grabbing machines store. I don't think you understand what am I talking about, so I will let the photos do the job.

One of those toy-grabbing machines

Other than shopping, pachinko and toy-grabbing machines, Shinjuku have many nice restaurants too. My friend and I dined at the same ramen store for 2 of the days we spent in Tokyo. We ordered their "number one" ramen and others to try too. We don't know how to read Japanese, so we refer to the photos on the menu to order our foods. Well, we actually did that throughout our trip. As for the price, our dinner cost about S$9.60+ each. The ramen tasted really good and delicious, I am already missing it.

Typical ramen ordering machine and me posing in the store.


Our seatings with posters and misc items.


The number 1 ramen in their store.


One of the restaurants we dined too.


My Chicken Katsu Don


Omoide Yokocho is the popular supper/after-dinner destination in Shinjuku. Here, you can find many small cafes that offer BBQ/grilled meat stick and beer. We only passed by these narrow lanes. The shop keepers are friendly, they are able to speak Chinese and sometimes, English too. One of the store owner actually invite us in but we already had dinner. Well, I definitely will try to dine in one of the store the next time I visit Tokyo.

West entrance of Omoide Yokocho


The narrow lane filled with many small cafes by the side.

I am coming to the end of this travel post, I shall end off with one last shopping spot in Shinjuku then. Okashi no Machioka is one of the popular snack stores in Japan. The store carries many goodies such as Kit Kat (Various flavours), Pocky (Various flavours), rice crackers, potato chips, sweets and chocolates. Other than us visiting the store, there were also many other tourists from Taiwan and Hong Kong whom visited the store too.

Okashi no Machioka


Cheap snacks.

I hope you have enjoyed reading my travel post on Shinjuku and do drop by my blog soon for the next travel post on my Japan trip! :)

Story Closed on 22.08.13.

Photo Credits:
- http://www.fashionadexplorer.com/l-Sa8voa5QRGsMCWOV.jpg

Comments