Odaiba

Odaiba : お台場


Odaiba is a man-made island in Tokyo. It is also one of the popular tourists and locals hangout in Tokyo. It is about a 30 minutes ride from Shinjuku JR train station to Odaiba. There are few malls in Odaiba that you cannot miss such as the Aquacity and Diver City. Inside these malls, you can find many popular brands such as Old Navy, Hello Kitty Japan, Daiso, Wego, Calbee and etc;. Odaiba is definitely a great place for shopping and I wanted to agree to that as I bought quite a number of stuffs from there, hahas.

Ok, I shall go briefly on the malls which I have visited. I hope you will gain something useful at the end of this wondeful post. Without further ado, let's start. Diver City (ダイバー都市) is the first mall which I visited when I landed my feet on Odaiba. It is located right in front of the JR station exit and it is linked by a sheltered walkway. It is really easy to navigate youself to the mall. When you reached the mall entrance, you will probably see Old Navy store on the second floor. It is one of the brands which you cannot find in Singapore currently. So as a typical shopper, I bought some 2 tees from there. Hahas.

Old Navy

In the mall, there are also many other shops which you may be interested such as Calbee and Hello Kitty Japan. These stores sell not only just mechandises but also snacks like waffles and chips which you would not see in Singapore too. Well, you got to come here yourself to experience and see. Diver City is one of biggest malls in Odaiba, I spent about an hour to explore the mall. Being one of the biggest, it houses the Gundam Front museum here. You can also find the exclusive big Gundam model here. Right at the area, you also can find a Gundam themed cafe. There are a lot of people taking photos with it and yup, it's one of main highlights at the mall. The mall will ocassionally host autograph sessions for celebrities too. That day, we saw one for a K-Pop band.

The Hello Kitty Japan store.


The Huge Gundam Model!! Damn cool!


The Mobile Gundam Cafe!



The place where the autograph session will be taking place. (Right in front of the Gundam Cafe)


There is a food court at the second level of the mall. The food court (東京グルメスタジアム) is a place where all of the popular Japanese restaurants reside. My friend and I had our lunch there, we ordered from this store named "キムカツ亭" (Kimukatsutei). There are several drink stations in the food court where you get to refill drinking water for free and there is also a wipping cloth session at the station where you can pick up cloth for wipping the tables of your seating area. We spent about S$10 each for our lunch. I ordered the curry flavoured one (キムカツカレー丼) while Zhiwei had the normal version (キム玉子丼). Both of them tasted really nice and tasty, definitely worth every penny and time spent.

キムカツ亭 @ 東京グルメスタジアム


キム玉子丼


キムカツカレー丼


Drink Station in the foodcourt.

After lunch, we walked around the mall and we had dessert at Baskin Robbins (バスキン·ロビンス). I ordered the cheesecake sundae while Zhiwei ordered the oreo one. We totally enjoyed ourselves here and I took some photos too. The desserts were delicious and tasty. It cost me around S$6.20 for the cheesecake sundae. The price is quite steep but overall, I think it's worth it. After tons of shopping and walking around Diver City, we left the mall and proceed to Decks.

Baskin Robbins (バスキン·ロビンス) @ Diver City


My Cheesecake Sundae! Yummy!

Decks (デックス東京ビーチ) is the mall which is loaded with the Sega Joypolis, Legoland: Discovery Center and Madame Tussauds. The mall is separated into 2 areas, one is the Island Mall and the other one, the Sea Side Mall. In these malls, you can find nice Japanese restaurants and cafes such as "つきじ植むら" and "築地玉寿司". Though I didn't really went for the foods here as they are not cheap. Hmm, but if you are feeling rich, you may drop by to try them out. If you are on budget, you can also grab onto fast foods like Mcdonald's and Yoshinoya (吉野家) here too.

Foods settled, now as for the shopping at Decks...Hmm, in my opinion, there aren't much stuffs here. But if you are looking for sports wear or summer clothings, you may probably wanted to drop by at this mall as there are few stores selling these products. I cannot tell you much on the pricing as I only passed by the stores, but since it's a shopping mall, be prepared to see prices at S$50 minimum. After touring the mall, we went for Aqua City.

Aqua City is the mall right next to Decks and it is linked to one another by walkway. I am happy that they did that as we consumers can save the hassle of the going up-and-down process (Getting around process). Nevertheless, Aqua City is a mall where it had brought in the United States feeling. In the mall, there is an area where there is a row of USA themed stores where they sells clothings and stuffs. Right at that area, there is also a restaurant (Longboard Cafe) too. In my opinion, it gave you the feeling of you being in USA instead of Japan and thus it's quite a nice place to take photos.


The "USA street" styled lane in the mall


Spotted the Longboard Cafe.

Right outside the mall (3rd floor), you will spot a replica of the New York's Statue of Liberty. It is one of popular spots in Odaiba where tourists and locals will visit and take photos at. As a typical tourist, I did that too. Hahas. Well...I believed you will too. Moving on, the mall houses a variety of shops which includes Coach, Lowrys Farm (Singapore's first outlet at JEM), GAP, Agnes B, Fred Perry and so much more. There are several restaurants at the 5th and 6th floors of the mall to please your hungry stomach. During my visit, my friend and I only explored the 3rd and 4th floors of the mall. We quick browsed the stores and did nothing much here, so I cannot comment much.


The Statue of Liberty spotted at the mall.

My post is getting lengthy, hahas. Ok, wrapping up my visit at Odaiba with the last mall I visited here. The Palette Town is where the famous ferris wheel is located. In here, there is one attraction that you may not want to miss, the Toyota Mega Web. The mall named Venus Fort has 3 floors which my friend and I did not explored. I only went on the internet to browse through the photos. So if next time, I am back, I will try to make time to visit the mall. Anyway, my friend and I went on the ferries wheel and we enjoyed the pretty view of the Tokyo skyline. It was really a nice and awesome ride, the ticket cost ¥900 each (Adult) and I think it's worth the money. I will definitely recommend this to my friends and family if they are visiting Tokyo someday.

Palette Town


Entrance to the wheel, colorful! :)



Awesome sunset view from the ferris wheel.


Last but not least, here's how I get to Odaiba by train. I took the Yamanote JR train to Osaki station (大崎駅) and transfer over to Rinkai JR train. Then, I alight at Tokyo Teleport station (東京テレポート駅) and I reached Odaiba! Easy, right? Ok, I guess I shall end my words here. Please drop by soon for more interesting read! :)

Story Closed on 15.09.13.

Comments