Osu Kannon


Afternoon peeps! It's Sunday and I am back for another weekly post. In today's post, I will be posting about my visit to Osu Kannon. Osu Kannon is one of the popular tourist attractions in Nagoya. This Buddhist temple is the home of the Godness of Mercy and Compassion. The Chinese and Japanese characters are the same but the reading of the characters are different. In Japanese, we say 'Kannon' and in Chinese, we say 'Guan Ying'. Though the reading are different, in Buddhism, they shared the same role as the Godness of Mercy and Compassion.

Well, let's get back to the main topic here. The nearest station to Osu Kannon is the Osu Kannon Station and remember to take exit (2) to reach the temple. Having to know that the temple is home to the Godness of Mercy, many Buddhism followers and believers come here to pray and give respects to the Godness. It's not just the locals but also tourists from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and many Chinese-based countries. The temple is also very beautiful when viewed from a distance. I took several photos here too! Hahas.

The view from a distance


That Godness statue and selfie


The interior of the temple



Praying...(PS, I shouldn't take this photo. Oops!)

There are sales of joss sticks which visitors can purchase and use it for giving respect to the Godness. Side note: If you have visited Japanese temples and shrines, you will realise that not all of them offers the sales of joss sticks. In Buddhist temples like those in Singapore and nearby Asian countries, most of them offer the sales of joss sticks. I think this is one of the reasons why Osu Kannon also offers it too.

Sales of Joss Sticks


The right side of main temple

After paying respects to the Godness, visitors would visit the nearby Osu shopping street or Shotengai (商店街) for a warm tasty meal, do some light shopping and so forth. As a tourist, I am no exception, I walked the street and grab some snacks and meal along the way. Particularly, when you visit Osu, don't miss trying the popular Dango right near the entrance of the shopping street from Osu temple. I tried the Soy-sauce one and it was really tasty! There are about 4 flavours available and I think all would taste amazing from the judgement of the taste I had with the Soy sauce one.

The shop front


Number of flavours


My share

Another interesting shop worth visiting here is the "Wednesday Alice" candy store. The shop entrance is small and it depicts the size of Alice when she shrinks in the fairy tale, Alice in the Wonderland. Customers has to bend down in order to enter the store. The store sells mainly ladies accessories such as hairbands, necklaces, rings and so forth. Other than these, they also have cookies and candies on sales too which is one of the omiyages you can get for you friends in Singapore.

The shop front


The shop interior

I also recommend visiting the snacks and sweets shop, "Okashi-Ken-Chan (お菓子屋けんちゃん)" at the end corner of the street. This chain store is popular for its low price candies and snacks which is one of the best places to get nice omiyages (お土産)!

The shop front

During my visit, I dined at Ashitaba (あした葉) which is a Japanese restaurant located right in front of Sayona supermarket (サノヤ万松寺店). The foods were tasty and affordable. My lunch cost me about S$11.00 or less. Note that all the waitresses are aunties and they are really friendly and warm. I feel like having lunch at home.

The restaurant front


My lunch


あした葉 @ 大須
愛知県 名古屋市中区 大須 3丁目29-22
Tabelog: https://tabelog.com/aichi/A2301/A230105/23004352/

Opens daily!
Mon - Sat: 1115 hrs ~ 1530 hrs
Sun: 1115 hrs ~ 1900 hrs

Okay. I guess I have covered much of what to do in Osu Kannon and its shopping street. If you like this post and enjoyed reading it, help me to share with your friends! I hope I can make more interesting content for you guys in the near future! Do come back for another weekly update next week! See you all!!

The shopping street during night time

Story Closed on 23.07.2017.

#wjalmighty #weeklyupdates #weeklyposts #travelogues #wjtravels #travels #Japan #Aichi #Nagoya #Osukannon #osu #shopping #thingstodo #thingstosee #thingstobuy #thingstoeat

Comments