Lake Toya


Evening peeps! It's Sunday! In this short travel post, I will be sharing about my visit to Lake Toya. It's where the volcano erupted years ago!

Lake Toya is one of popular tourist spots in Hokkaido which many tour groups will put inside their itineraries but if you are going free and easy, fear not, there is hourly buses from JR Toya station to the lake. But remember to plan your trip well to avoid missing trains or buses!

Selfie outside the station, lols.

To get to Lake Toya, you have to alight at JR Toya station and take a bus to the famous Toya onsen resort which is terminal stop of the bus. From the bus terminal, you may need to walk or hike up a distance to see the whole lake. I took about 2 hours to finish exploring the hill overseeing the lake.

View: Halfway up the route


Common flowers during Summer?


The crater which was formed after the eruption years ago


Abandoned factory? Creepy.

You can alight at the Volcano entrance stop(噴火口入口). Then, pay 1,000 yen to enter the carpark at the top of the hill. You will have to hike a distance up though. But the view is really nice and worth your money! After you descend from the hill, you can explore the site that was affected by the volcano eruption. The information centre is pretty quiet during my visit maybe it's weekday? Hahas.

Selfie with the view from the carpark


Another view from the carpark


View of another volcano from afar, Yoteisan (羊蹄山), left of the photo.


During my flight to Chitose, I also chanced upon Yoteisan from air!

The trip to Lake Toya from either Hakodate or Sapporo is about 1 hour plus since it's located in the center of both cities and it's covered under your JR Hokkaido Pass. Due to time limit, I didn't have time to explore the shore area of the lake. Apparently, there are nice photo spots there too.

I have roughly summarised my visit in this post, I hope my visit here can give you guys some insight on your upcoming Hokkaido trip. Do stay tuned for more weekly update on my travels to Japan last summer! See you guys then!

Story Closed on 18.03.2018.

#wjalmighty #weeklyupdates #weeklyposts #travelogues #wjtravels #willistravels #japan #jp #hokkaido #laketoya #toya #thingstosee #thingstodo

Comments