Celebrating CNY in Malaysia

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR! HUAT ARH!!

Chinese New Year (a.k.a CNY in short) is one of the biggest festivals celebrated every year. To the Chinese, Chinese New Year is the beginning of the year and thus, it’s an important and meaningful occasion. Well, this year, as we know it, it is the snake year and it was rumored to be a water-snake year because of the rainy season recently. For this year, I went back to Malacca, Malaysia to visit my grandparents and relatives. It has been 2 years since I went back to my motherland to celebrate CNY.

The last 2 years, I missed many good things like fire crackers, fireworks and so much more. Hence, this year was quite a blast for me though I got a little bit upset with some of my problems on hand. Nevertheless, I brought back all my cameras and took a ton of videos and photos during the trip.

Fireworks (Screen grab of the videos I took)


During the trip, I ate many crackers and foods. On the other hand, I also did controlled by not eating too much oily stuffs. Also, I took a hell lot of photos of myself (model style) with the help of my sister and some nice shots for my photography album. I like my grandparent’s house, the place is quite nice for HDR and landscape photography.

One of my fave shots! HDR + Monochrome!


My personal photoshoot...lols!



Other than taking photos and videos, I also shopped for biscuits and pastries for my beloved friends and colleagues. FYI, I went shopping and eating at Jonker Street and Mahkota’s shopping malls. Some foods which I have ate during my trip: Gong Cha, Famous Amos, fried and twisted potatoes, smelly tofu (臭豆腐) and so much more. Well, the smelly tofu was actually quite nice though I really dislike the smell.

Jonker Street


Creamy Durian Puff - Taste Better


Smelly Tofu (臭豆腐)


Inside the shopping mall and I found Iron man!


I also visited the temple nearby Jonker Street with my family. On the side note, the smoke is really thick in there. So if you are going there to give prayer, do take note of this. There are few flower stores and some snack stores outside the temple. That day, my dad bought one box of sausages, fishballs, spring rolls and so much more from one of the snack stores. We shared the foods because it was really too much for one to finish.

Main entrance and stores outside the temple.


The snack store and the snacks.

After that, we had dessert at Justberrys before splitting up into groups to go shopping. The dessert store was one of the popular one in Malacca. We ordered a few of their signature desserts to try. My sister ordered the mango one, my dad ordered the honey dew one and for me, I ordered the durian one. I personally preferred the durian shaved ice (溜连沙冰), I think it was the best out of the 3. Though, the honeydew shaved ice (蜜瓜沙冰) is really refreshing. As for the mango version one, that is too mainstream…hahas. Well, if you are visiting Jonker Street, why not drop by this store and try the desserts?

Photos that I took during my stay


Durian shaved ice (溜连沙冰) with vanilla ice cream

Moving on to the next highlight of the trip…On the second last night of the trip, my cousin, sister, aunt and I went to release sky lantern. We spend about 40 minutes writing and preparing the lanterns. Then, we used another 30 to 40 minutes to lift all the lanterns into the beautiful night sky. It was quite some work as compared to what I did on my previous Taiwan’s trip however, it was still fun and enjoyable.

My sky lantern


In progress to lift off! (Screen grab of the video I took)


The trip ended with a fantastic and yummy breakfast. I wondered when I will be back again, probably not so soon. I have come to the end of this post, I hope you have enjoyed reading it and I hope that you will be back for more interesting reads.

Our delicious breakfast


Ending off this post with this video! Enjoy!

#CNY, #Malacca, #Malaysia, #Travels, #Chinese, #New, #Year, #Food

You may also like:
- Chinese New Year 2012
- Truly Malaysia (Malacca) 2012

Comments