Nikko


Evening peeps! It's Sunday again and I am back another weekly update. In this post, I will be sharing about my trip to Nikko (日光)! This is my first trip to Nikko and my first time to the Tochigi prefecture. Nikko was a really nice place, peaceful and quiet. I visited some of the attractions here which I find that you guys can put inside your itinerary too.

My first stop is none other than the Nikko's Toshogu Shrine (東照宮). The shrine is famous for its animal carvings on the buildings. This shrine is also the rest place for the famous Tokuguwa Ieyasu (A ruler during the ancient Japan times). Other the carvings, another attractions at the shrine is the Temple of Crying Dragon. Here, the guide will explain about the temple and zodiac in English and Japanese. It's also one of the most interesting parts in the shrine. I believed that photos tell more than what I typed here so I have attached some photos below, enjoy! Anyway, the entrance fee to the shrine is ¥1,300 and it take about 15 to 20 mins from Nikko station to the shrine.

The entrance to the main hall


Famous monkey carving on see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil


Spotted a white horse inside the monkey carving's building


Souvenirs just outside the building


Sleepy cat


A lot of steps to climb to see the sleepy cat


Entrance to the Temple of Crying Dragon

I took a long walk from the shrine area to the next attraction here, Kanmangafuchi Abyss (憾満ヶ淵). Here housed the notable rows of Jizo and you will be able to spot many Japanese aunties or uncles here drawing the scenery. The natural side of Nikko has captured my attention, it was pretty even during summer. Anyway, I was there during early summer. Early July, I believed?

Kanmangafuchi Abyss


Beautiful nature

After which, I make my way back to the shuttle bus stop where I took to the shrine. I board the bus and alighted at my last stop for the trip, the Shinkyo Bridge (神橋). It cost ¥300 to cross the bridge but it was said that those whom crossed the bridge are blessed with good luck. After some photo taking here, I settled for my lunch at a nearby restaurant. It was so quiet and I am the only customer in the restaurant during that time. Anyway, coming to Nikko, the must-eat here is their Yuba (湯波). In Singapore, we called beancurd skin. Yes, my lunch consist of this! Hahas.

Shinkyo Bridge


Selfie!


Retro phone booth


Lunch!


Gyoza

After lunch, I bought some omiyage from the souvenir stores here. They also sell the famous Tochigi Lemon Cookie here so without hesitating, I bought them. I also got the Nikko castella for my Airbnb host. The kids were loving it. Hahas. Before I left Nikko on train, I bought my last Tochigi lemon milk to drink it on the train. Man, it was nice. I hope someday I will be able to explore other parts of Tochigi. I have come to the end of this short travel posts, I hope you guys enjoyed this piece too. Anyway, all these attractions are reachable by the Nikko Kankou bus which can be board at Tobu Nikko station. To get here from Tokyo, a trip to Asakusa is necessary. :D


Famous lemon cookies


They also have the milk too!


Famous Castella cake

Please come back soon for another weekly travel post next week! Cheers!

Story Closed on 05.08.2018.

Photo Credits:
- http://www.kinugawa-tsuruya.com/gr_js/kirikae/img/tab_06.jpg

#wjalmighty #weeklyupdates #weeklyposts #willistravels #wjtravels #travelogues #japan #jp #tochigi #nikko #thingstodo #thingstosee #thingstobuy #thingstoeat

Comments

Anonymous said…
Pretty! This was a really wonderful post. Many thanks for providing these details.