Weathering with You (2019)


Afternoon peeps! Recently, I have been really busy with work and stuffs thus, have not been updating frequently. Sorry about that. Anyway, in today's post, I will be sharing about my review for the latest Makoto Shinkai (新海誠)'s work, Weathering With You (天気の子). I would say that the movie was one of the nice movies I have watched this year. The artwork in the film was good however, the storyline was not as good compared to "Your Name" back in 2016. Nevertheless, I did enjoyed the film overall.

I have yet to complete the novel but was reading it before the movie start broadcasting in Singapore. As I am half way into the novel before I watched the movie, I tends to appreciate the movie much more. The words in the novel, characters and interactions all matches the animation. Till today, I am still reading the novel. I hope to complete it soon but since it's in Japanese, I need to translate some of the tougher Kanjis using dictionary. Fans are able to purchase the premium package to enjoy the movie. Though it cost much more, fans will receive special movie premiums. However, I only went for the normal one and spent the money on the Uniqlo x Makoto Shinkai's collaboration tee instead. Hahas.

What I have for the Premiums


Uniqlo's UT Collection

Okay. Putting the movie premiums aside, as mentioned earlier that the storyline was not as good as "Your Name". The film started with Hotaka (the male lead) traveling from his hometown to Tokyo on the ferry. Warning was sounded that weather is going to be bad and advise all passenger to return to their quarters. While everyone is moving back to their quarters, Hotaka move towards the ferry deck. Then, a sudden downpour and the ferry was rocking badly, Hotaka slipped and was about to fall into the sea but Suga (the supporting cast) saved him by grabbing onto Hotaka hand.

Screengrab from the movie

Let's skip to where Hotaka met Hina (The female lead). Hotaka met Hina at Mcdonald's after days of ordering corn soup. This is where Hina treated Hotaka to Big Mac. One of his sumptuous meals during his stay at Tokyo so far. After some days, Hotaka once again met Hina on the street. Hina was harassed by 2 weird men during that time, Hotaka being himself, ran towards Hina and grabbed her hands then ran together away from the men. This is one of the climax scenes in the movie. I guess I shall stop the details here. Anyway, the movie ended with Hotaka saving Hina from the other side of the world and that both of them met again 2 years later at the same place where Hina evaporate into the other world. It was a nice movie but there is a loophole that the movie failed to answer...Why did Hotaka leave his town in the first place? Hmm...

Movie trailer

Alright, moving on to the music and songs for the movie. The main theme is by Radwimps, song titled as "Is there still anything love can do" (愛にできることはまだあるがい). The lyrics is good too. Part of the chorus reads "Is there still anything love can do? Is there still anything I can do? It's because that you gave me courage, I would like to use it on you. If it's not you, then it's meaningless." The main theme was played during the scene where Hotaka was running up the stairs to save Hina from the other world. I believe that it was here that many viewers would get the tori-hada (鳥肌)?

Movie theme song

I have come to end of this review post. Once again, I am so sorry for not updating my blog recently. Please do come and support my blog again!

Story Closed on 20.10.2019.

#wjalmighty #weeklyupdates #weeklyposts #singapore #sg #movies #japaneseanime #anime #shinkaimakoto #weatheringwithyou #annualmovie #animetowatch

Comments