Feng Jia Night Market (2014)

逢甲夜市


Good day, people! I am here to blog about Feng Jia Night Market (逢甲夜市)! This year, I went visited Taichung again and who will miss out going to their biggest night market, 逢甲夜市? Spanning a long street and inter-lanes, the night market is the most popular night market in Taichung. This year, I stayed nearby the night market and thus, I went back there for 2 nights. I hope I can feature more must-eat/do/see in Feng Jia Night Market. Ok, without further ado, I shall start!

The night market is named after the university (逢甲大學) located in the Feng Jia area. Yes, in the daytime, you will see students walking around the area and expect crowds on weekend's evening too. There are many accommodation places located in the area as it is one of the must-see attractions in Taichung. I stayed at the newly setup hostel, "艾菲爾鐵塔名宿". It was a hard decision as I got a number of options on Hostelworld's website, in the end, I chose the hostel and I didn't regret my choice. The room which I booked was nice and nearby the night market, there is a direct bus to Tung Hai University (東海大學) too.


逢甲大學


Eiffel Tower Hostel(艾菲爾鐵塔名宿)


Eiffel Tower Hostel (艾菲爾鐵塔名宿)
Fuxing North First Street, Xitun District, Taichung 407, Taiwan

Putting accommodation aside for now then, we will explore the night market! There are a ton of delicious foods and shopping too. One of the best local apparel brands which I recommended is California (加州), they also carried stuffs from Japan (Seven Heaven) and other regional countries. I bought 2 pocket-tees from there during my visit. I think they have one outlet in Shi Da Night Market (師大夜市) in Taipei, so if you are not visiting Taichung during your trip, you can try visiting their Taipei's outlet. They have shirts, tees, jackets, hoodies and bags. The quality-wise of their products is good and nice, the tees definitely suits Singapore's weather. Shopping in the night market is a pleasure, Raven got herself a ton of stuffs from wallets to tees at really reasonable prices.

Foods are an essential part of any night market. In Feng Jia Night Market, there are a lot of foods to try out. In this post, I shall go through the foods which I have tried out during the 2 nights. Time to drool! Hahas.

大勝炒麵麵包


日式和風の炒麵麵包! おいしい!!

Click below links to read about other Taiwanese blogger's take!
- http://tinyurl.com/pxv3oub (All趴食)
- http://tinyurl.com/q2jaa6j (桶子葉の吐司記)
- http://tinyurl.com/nn79epn (愛挖鼻屎的尼力)

"大勝炒麵麵包" is a very popular store in Feng Jia night market. It doesn't just made its way onto many blogs but also big media names like "MTV Asia" and "TVBS" which paid an interview visit to the store too. I bought the "日式和風" flavoured one, the sauce was awesome and the noodles tasted really good. Well, if you wanted to know how it tasted like, try stir fry your instant noodles with soy sauce and dress it in salad sauce! It's so delicious and tasty!

新疆羊肉串


Tasty grilled mutton satay!

While waiting and queuing up for my "炒麵麵包", Raven went off shopping on her own. She bought these grilled mutton satay(s) from "新疆羊肉串". The store is facing opposite of "大勝炒麵麵包" and thus, it's pretty easy to find the store. The mutton satay(s) were selling at 6 sticks for NT$100 (Est' S$4.30++). The satay(s) were okay and tasted quite nice, but in my opinion, the mutton smell is not well-done enough. Overall, try only you are seriously hungry. Hahas.

許家生煎包


Delicious and warm "生煎包" on sizzling hot plate!

One of the nicest and must-try of all times when visiting Feng Jia Night Market (逢甲夜市) or Shi Da Night Market (師大夜市) is the "生煎包" from "許家生煎包". The buns were in fact like dumplings in bun-shape. No kidding, they tasted really awesome and nice. These buns are selling at 5 for NT$35 (Est' S$1.50).

紅燒當歸鴨


當歸鴨麵線 (Angelica duck noodles)

Click below links to read about other Taiwanese blogger's take!
- http://tinyurl.com/q6kxxw8 (熊痞痞vs兔眠眠)
- http://tinyurl.com/l6a9jq9 (Janotts)

I believed if you have read my previous post on Taichung's Feng Jia Night Market, you would remember this store. I have visited them last year and this year, I went back again! The soup base was really awesome especially during the cold and wet weather. The noodles were smooth and tasty, the duck-meat slices were okay too. Thumbs up!

妖怪拉麵


Signature ramen of the store!


Promotion Menu and side dishes

Raven and I happened to pass by this restaurant on the first night and so, we decided to try them out on the second night at Feng Jia. "妖怪拉麵" opened its doors in 2013 and the waitresses here wear Japanese uniform, so it's kind of like fitting into the Japanese-themed ramen restaurant. Food-wise, the ramen and side dishes tasted quite nice. It's pretty not bad, I believed that you guys would also like it too. The price range is between NT$100 to NT$200, to many of us, I think it's affordable and reasonable too. There are several side dishes you can choose from if you are picking up the combo meal, from fried ebi to fried fish cake.

Other snacks you can find in the night market


Also featured on "食尚玩家"

If you like potatoes, you will love the fried sweet potatoes balls. It cost only NT$20 for a small pack and they tasted really nice and it's really addictive too. The Taiwanese waffle "格子Q" (Also featured on "食尚玩家") is one of the tasty snacks found in many night markets and you can pretty much find them around the island of Taiwan these days. If you have tried the "鹹酥雞" from Taiwan, you will realised that it's actually the Popcorn Chicken from our local KFC restaurants only that it tasted much saltier. I have finally come to the end of this wonderful post, I hope the shopping and foods recommendation in this post will help you when you visit Feng Jia Night Market the next time. Ciaos!

Story Closed on 12.03.14.

Photo Credits:
- http://static.asiarooms.com/hotelphotos/laterooms/251406/gallery/eiffel-tower-hostel-taichung-city_190820121046224833.jpg
- http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/03/e5/85/c1/the-lobby.jpg

Click below link to read about my previous visit!
- Feng Jia Night Market (March 2013)

Comments

Calvin said…
Woohoo! So niceeee!! :)